Monday 29 August 2011

South West London Green Spaces Marathon

This site has been created to document my attempts to design a marathon route and run it. The idea is that the route should include as many of the green spaces of south west London as possible.
I enjoy running for the health benefits and its own sake. I am a slow runner and do not usually enter races, preferring the sociable side of running with others in my running club and the chance it gives me to get out in my local parks.
South west London is particularly blessed with an abundance of green spaces, notably Richmond Park, Wimbledon Common, Bushy Park and Home Park, and it occurred to me that I should be able to link them up with a route that involved as little road running as possible. Many of my club-mates have run the London Marathon, but it is notoriously hard to get in to, so I have decided to create an alternative marathon which anyone like me can have a go at. It's not a race, there is no entry fee, no form to fill in, just a challenge to set yourself and do. It is just a feasible circular route, designed with water points, car parks and safe road crossings in mind. You can start where you like on the route, and if you have any supporters, they can rendezvous at a variety of places.
Maybe this will also inspire others to design their own marathon routes in other parts of the country (or the world).

No comments:

Post a Comment