Sunday 14 October 2012

A Different Approach to Marathon Training

In recent years I have been given all sorts of advice about running, often by people who have read some book by some "expert". I can't say I've ever taken much of the advice I've been offered. Firstly because I'm a bit too old and set in my ways to change now. Secondly because I've been virtually injury free for all my running career, and would like to keep things that way for as long as I can. Trying to change my running style seems too much like tempting fate. And finally, for the reasons expressed elsewhere in this blog, the goal of running faster just isn't that important to me.

Last year when I ran my marathon route it didn't go quite to plan. After tapering my runs for 3 weeks as per the regular marathon training schedule, I felt completely off the boil on the morning of the run. When I finished my longest training run, I felt ready to run the marathon the following week. So this time I have decided to give that approach a try. It flies in the face of conventional wisdom, but I intend to continue ramping up the mileage week by week until the marathon. I have completed 20 miles, next week will be 22, and if I can, 24 the week after that, and then the big day. If I feel too tired to do the 24 miles, I'll listen to my body and do what feels right.

So in a few weeks time I will know whether my approach has worked or not. I will post something to say whether or not it has as soon as I can after the run.

No comments:

Post a Comment