Wednesday 31 August 2011

The Looking Glass World

I am trying to finalise my marathon route at the moment, and spent a considerable amount of time last weekend up on Wimbledon Common, familiarising myself with the paths. I am conscious of the fact that I have to devise a route that others can easily follow too. And the Common is not as easy to navigate as it would seem. I armed myself with a satellite view map, with the paths I wanted to explore marked on it, and set off. I went to the corner which is nearest Richmond Park, checked the orientation and took the path which would lead to the southern end of the Common. I emerged from the woods onto a golf fairway, crossed that, passed by some trees and over another fairway and back into woods again. A few hundred meters later I came out the other side to find myself at the windmill, slap in the middle of the Common. WHAT? How on earth could I be here? I was about half a mile away from where I ought to be! I couldn't believe it. Try again. I took the main path, straight as a ruler right through the centre of the Common. Followed a path round the southern reaches by Wimbledon Village, where the smart set walk their dogs. Back towards the centre then turned right to head to the western edge where Parkside Avenue sharply divides the wilderness from the suburb. Then to my bafflement, I saw the windmill dead ahead again. It shouldn't be there! It should be on my left and behind me. This was like Alice Through The Looking Glass, where whenever she runs away from the house she comes straight back to it.
Anyway, anyone interested in attempting my route should be assured that I found the right way eventually.
I also found that it is quite possible to link from Wimbledon Common to Putney Heath, via Tibbets Corner. I went and explored it on my second run of the weekend. I had never been there before. It would be nice If it could be included in the route as well, but seems a bit lacking in obvious landmarks to guide people by. If any reader knows this area well and can suggest a short route starting and finishing at Tibbets Corner, that would stay off roads as much as possible, I am keen to receive suggestions. Please leave a reply to this posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment